Today it is an article about USA… it has been a dream to go there, the American dream! USA has a special place in my heart, and my trip was better than my expectations.
So, first of all, it was a business trip! Nothing for fun, but I always have a good time when I travel.
So we had around 17hours travel time (3 different planes), I was super excited to arrive… and EVERYTHING IS SO DIFFERENT THAN EUROPE!
Cars are HUGE, food too though’! but I instantly got surprised by the politeness of people! I live in Sweden and the first rule is to NOT talk to your neighbour, but in America, everyone is so happy, saying Hello even in the street! I was really surprised!
we stayed at the Amway grand plaza. Really good hotel, located in Grand Rapids down town! The gym and the pool were amazing! I definitely recommend it!
* The green well: American food, good restaurant, people were nice! I had a special Schnitzel from Michigan, I was really satisfied
* Five guys: you need to try one time in your life! Fast food, delicious fat burgers!
* Maru Sushi: As a sushi lover, this place was extremely good! The unique point is that it’s original sushi compare to Europe
* Sushi Yama: Basement place, you need to know where it is to go there, but really good sushi for a Lunch
* Hop cat: Bar-food place, we had a.. burger! The fries are delicious!
* Downtown Market: Place where you can find lots of different restaurants! We tried the BBQ place called Slows bar BQ! You choose which kind of meat and how much you would like and they serve it on a tray! The fries were amazing too
* Founders: Brewery and Sandwiches place, you have to try the beers! I LOVED it and I am not a beer girl!
Unfortunately, museums and zoos were closed for the week! So I did not experienced so much in Grand Rapids. But we went for a Hockey Match and this is a “must to do”!
We also visited Grand Haven after a day at work, we went to Rosy Mound (natural park/Dune) and then to the Harbor! A lovely city!
As a typical European, I have no ideaaaa how to tip! So at the beginning of my trip, I gave a lot to Starbucks for example! I made their days I think! Luckily, my American friends explained me, now everything is alright! But it’s a strange way to do!
It was during Halloween time, Americans don’t laugh with Halloween, it is pretty serious. Shop only for Halloween decorations, Houses full with spiders and pumpkins, as I said earlier, everything is HUGE!
I spent only a day there, I went by train and it was also an amazing experience!
The trains are so spacious and comfortable! I wish we would have it in Europe! but they are so slow.. Yeah! Like 50km per hour… mamamiaaaa! But it is a great place to talk and get to know your neighbour! As I said earlier, people are much more opened and talkative than in Sweden! So I met really nice people (they will recognize themselves if they read this article)
I decided to not take any taxi, subway to walk and discover the city as much as possible! Well done, but I walked almost 20km during a day, I was pretty tired at the end of it!
– Sky desk: 412 METERS HIGH, it is SO impressive! I was a bit scared actually, but it is SO cool
– Art of institute Chicago: One of the best museums I ever did actually! It was super nice art, the building is so beautiful, you have diversity and it is not boring at all! I learned a lot and discovered so many beautiful things!
– Millenium park with the “bean”
– Walk through the city and reach the Navy Pier and then came back up to the Aquarium. It was a peaceful and sunny walk! I loved it
– Shopping time
– I tried a pokébowl at Poke Poké: WAHOU, so tasty! Super healthy and really really good!
America, I will definitely come back!